Dorothy E. Futcher
(1898 - 1984)
Inducted in 1988
Origin: Elgin County
Nominated by: Federated Women’s Institutes of Ontario
Over 60 years a member of the Women’s Institute organization, Dorothy Futcher held executive positions including that of President at the local, county, and provincial levels. She was honoured with a lifetime membership by the Federated Women’s Institute of Canada, and participated in two world conferences of the Associated Country Women of the World.
Dorothy Futcher was an active supporter of Ontario agriculture. She was member of the Board of Directors for the Women’s Division of the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair Board, a member of the Advisory Committee for Macdonald Institute and received the OAC Award.
Mrs. Futcher, a lifelong resident of Elgin County, founded the Elgin County Pioneer Museum in 1954, and held position of Chairman of the Board until 1980. Her dedication to heritage preservation can be seen in her work with the Elgin County Historical Society, the Tweedsmuir Histories and the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Dorothy Futcher was respected for her work as a community leader and for her outstanding contributions on behalf of rural women throughout Ontario.